Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Try this at home, its fun:






From the September 13, 2007 edition of The Economist. Algorithms
Business by numbers




People often make mistakes when they key in their credit-card numbers online. With millions of transactions being processed at a time, a rapid way to weed out invalid numbers helps to keep processing times down. Enter the Luhn algorithm (see [above] ), named after its inventor, Hans Luhn, an IBM researcher. The numbers on a credit card identify the card type, the issuer and the user's account number. The last number of all is set to ensure that the Luhn algorithm produces a figure divisible by ten. If it is, the card number has been properly entered and the processing can go ahead.

2 comments:

brandts brandts everywhere said...

I believe that I am glad I am not smart enough to come up with something like that. that's amazing. yes, I am happy being me. :)

David B. said...

Brent, welcome to blogger land!!