Monday, November 5, 2007

Life Stories

After receiving a warm towel to freshen myself at the beginning of an Asia flight several years ago, I thought about carrying this into my life here in the States.

In fact, from my travels I've thought about other new practices I should adopt here in the states.

1) no shoes worn in the house.
2) slippers (adapted from flip-flops) throughout the house.
3) eye mask used on occasion at home along with ear plugs.

However, the one related to the story above is how I wanted to create a warm towel for soothing refreshment.

To start the process, I boiled a pot of water. A big pot, since I didn't have something small. I hung a large towel over the pot to aborb the moisture wafting up into the towel. The towel, limping from the moisture it absorbed, curled under the pot and fell onto the burner. Said towel caught on fire. Finally was manuevered to the sink and doused with water. Emergency averted.

Jara told me later that I should wet the towel and put it in the microwave. Genius.

8 comments:

brandts brandts everywhere said...

i love reading your entries. you always fill me with the sense that I am being filled with knowledge and then by the end . . . usually the last sentence, I am cracking up. thanks for making me smile each time I visit "you" :) all the Brandt love, erin

kman360 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
kman360 said...

my mom taught me to take a small wash cloth and put it in the microwave and then take a larger hand towel and wrap it around the wash cloth. it works great!
love,
amanda

Kristin said...

This is my favorite story ever!!!! it always makes me laugh...out loud.
keen

Kristin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Liz said...

someone told me this weekend that you are obsessed with warm towels... i see by this post that was an accurate statement.

Lisa said...

One of my favorite books - Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy - is very fond of towels and it is in fact a necessity that you must carry a towel with you as you travel the universe as it comes in handy in so many situations. I always think about this whenever someone talks about towels. Your towel experience would not bode well for an extra=terrestial excursion I'm afraid. :)

benjy said...

i'm all about slippers in the house.

also less of a fire hazard...