Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Chiropractor Visit

The last few months I've been visiting a chiropractor here in Omaha. I started going because of some lower back pain.

The ritual is always the same: 30 seconds of alignment for my back, neck, and right knee and then 20 minutes in another room for "shock therapy". This treatment allows me to lie face down and have electrodes placed at different intervals on my back.

Sometime I have 4 electrodes placed, sometimes 8. When I have 4 placed, they have been arranged differently each time. Sometimes 2 around my shoulders and 2 on my lower back. Sometimes 2 on my lower/middle back and 2 on my lower back.

I don't understand why they are placed where they are, except that they seem to be around nerve endings. And why sometimes 4, sometimes 8? Sometimes there are also "lasers" placed on my middle lower back and ice packs placed in different places.

Sometimes they actually hit the nerve ending and I can't take the "shocks" as strong as normal. My favorite is when the electrodes are placed at my shoulders. There is an involuntary jump in my arms when these "shocks" take place. It looks like I'm doing the chicken dance while lying on the table.

The technician dialed down the treatment a couple months ago, when she saw/heard my arms hitting the wall next to me. My chicken dance on the table was disturbing.


But really fun.

2 comments:

benjy said...

So...how's your back feeling?

benjy said...

And to think I always thought you'd never be anyone's puppet.