Saturday, March 7, 2009

Translation Difficulties

3/5

Over dinner, we were talking about how much people in Cochabamba like to eat and why I wasn´t eating more. (We had been told to eat a bit less at least at first, because the altitude slows digestion). In reply, instead of asking whether my stomach was fat, I asked whether my stomach was beautiful. Yes, they said, and my face. So polite.

3/6

Using a mixture of English, hand gestures, and Spanish with a friend, I asked where was a mutual friend. She replied that he was with my pregnant mother in Chile. Ouch.

Post-analysis: I think that instead of asking where he was, I asked where he was from. And even though he has lived in Cochabamba all his life, his mom was pregnant with him in Chile.

2 comments:

JaraBeara said...

OH MY GOODNESS. cracking up. miss you brenty boy!

Sarah said...

glad to catch up with you through your blog. you are wise, witty person my friend. look forward to more of your adventures in wonderland (aka life on sabbatical).