Sunday, March 29, 2009

I´m a Jerk, Part 2

The folks who read this blog probably already know that I hate the co-opting of Christianity with other things...like politics, sports, etc.

At Asbury College, a Christian liberal arts college in Kentucky, the following verse was adopted (from biblegateway.com):

Isaiah 40:31 (New International Version)

31 but those who hope in the LORD
will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles;
they will run and not grow weary,
they will walk and not be faint.


This was particularly ´comforting´ for the sports teams and they used this ´promise´ in Scripture for their games. But I don´t think God cares about sports, so I started circulating the following Biblical retort (from biblegateway.com):

Obadiah 1:4 (New International Version)

4 Though you soar like the eagle
and make your nest among the stars,
from there I will bring you down,"
declares the LORD.

3 comments:

ButterPeanut said...

Fantastic.

(Your retort, I mean...I agree that the co-opting of verses like that is hardcore barfy.)

amanda said...

hilarious.

Howie said...

Dude, I am laughing my butt off. Thank you so much for making it much more fun today. I agree wholeheartedly with your statements. BTW if I remember right the eagles didn't soar too often. In fact they floundered some. just at thought.....