Monday, March 16, 2009

My Time In Bolivia

I have had a wonderful two first weeks here in Cochabamba. I settled in with my host family two Monday´s ago and started studying Spanish the next day.

I attend 3.5 hours of classes each day and then, if I am good, study/practice for another hour each day. I live about 6 blocks from the school and walk there everyday.

My host family is incredible. I live with a mom, dad, two daughters, and a grandma that comes over for all the meals. It seems everyone is a professional in this family (two attorneys, one pilot, and one in medical school).

At the Institute, there are students from the US, Canada, Korea, Ireland, Switzerland, Japan, and others as well. There are additional seminars offered each week in addition to the classroom sessions as some social/athletic events. I plan on playing volleyball with them every week.

About 10 of us traveled to Copacabana over the weekend as part of the cultural learning experience for the school. We stayed near Lake Titicaca, the highest lake in the world. This trip was quite enjoyable and we took several hikes (as the lake is surrounded by hills/mountains. Hopefully, pictures will be forthcoming.

My Spanish is coming slowly, but I am enjoying this time nonetheless.

1 comment:

Melanie said...

Great. Now I have that Barry Manilow song in my head. ;) Glad to hear you are having a blessed time in Bolivia.