Thursday, January 15, 2009

A Re-enactment





On Tuesdays, I usually drive for the WMF carpool. Amanda, and sometimes Daphne, rides with me to the office.

This Tuesday, I received a text from Amanda that she didn't need a ride; Daphne texted that she did. When I pulled in front of Daphne's house, she couldn't see through the icy car windows (from our brutal cold weather). She instinctively got in the back seat behind me, assuming Amanda was in the front... When she realized that Amanda wasn't in the car, she kindly asked if I would like if she moved to the front seat....(to avoid the appearance of being chauffeured).

I told her that it didn't matter to me. I heard the door close and I pulled away. I drove to the light asking Daphne questions....questions typical of a car ride to work: "How was your night last night?" "Are you staying warm?" I was getting a little annoyed when she wasn't answering and assumed I couldn't see her in the rearview mirror because my own head was blocking my view. As I was looking for her through the rearview mirror, all of a sudden I saw her wildly flailing arms...outside her apartment. She had gotten out of the car to get in the front seat. I had left her.

I quickly put the car in reverse and drove the block backwards to pick her up. What you are seeing is a re-enactment of that fateful day. Daphne was kind enough to pose in front of her apartment later. In the first picture, you can faintly see Daphne through the rear view mirror. The second picture shows the view through the back car window, almost as if the rear view mirror view was enlarged.

2 comments:

Daphne said...

hehe. this was one of the funniest moments of my month.

Sarah said...

this is hilarious! i missed this post before but melinda was talking about it at staff meeting tonight. Nice re-enactment photos!