Thursday, January 8, 2009

Hard to Grow Old

I always used to think it was funny when people used the phrase:

"When I was a kid, ....."

But I can say that now...for lots of things.
I'm old.

1) When I was a kid, all this land was a corn field!
2) When I was a kid, they were playing 8-track tapes.
3) When I was a kid, they stuck thermometers up your rear to see if you had a fever.
4) When I was a kid, they didn't have Internet, CDs, or Videos
5) When I was a kid, they didn't have cell phones.
6) When I was a kid, tuna casserole was one of the most popular dishes in the States.
7) When I was a kid, they gave awards in elementary school for good penmanship.
8) When I was a kid, I walked a mile to junior high school. (and a mile back).
9) When I was a kid, Bozo the Clown was on television.
10) When I was a kid, Mom and Dad still had a B&W t.v.. I used to lie on the bed with Dad and watch the Cubs highlights on the news followed by the Johnny Carson monologue and then go to bed.
11) When I was a kid, the Soviet Union and Iron Curtain were considered the primary threats to the US.
12) When I was a kid, there were no personal calculators. An elementary school teacher showed off an early and expensive one.
13) When I was a kid, history was still a valuable subject in school, but has been replaced in some school curriculum, by courses in technology & business.
14) When I was a kid, dad had chains in the garage to put on his tires and also switched to winter tires for the snow.
15) When I was a kid, Tang was popular.
16) When I was a kid, pop rocks and pet rocks were popular.
17) When I was a kid, Michael Jackson was still 'normal'
18) When I was a (young) kid, sedans sold in the US were the sizes of small boats.
19) When I was a kid, we sat down to eat as a family every night. In the beginning, at a particular time. Over time, it became more flexible.
20) When I was a kid, our family purchased meat once a month which came on a delivery truck. We packed that meat in a deep freezer.

1 comment:

Liz said...

This is GREAT! Esp the cornfields.

If we would have known each other when I was a kid... one of your younger sisters would have been my babysitter.