Tuesday, February 24, 2009

More on Urinals (Offensive Language)

So two more things puzzle me about urinals (refer to a previous post about a urinal's piss-poor physics).

1) Why do advertisers put rubber advertising mats to put in the base of urinals? Advertisements on the top of the urinal (just under the handle) or even something on the wall would be great. Nothing says 'quality company' like something that is pissed on multiple times each day. I can't tell you the number of times, I have thought....Dang, I can't wait to eat at Momma's while reading their urinal advertisement.

2) I don't really get why many urinals and toilets have "American Standard" stamped on them. Even if that is the name of the company that produces the urinal and toilet, do you really want "American Standard" to be synonymous with pissers? Really? How about stamping "American Standard" on a rocket ship to Mars or something?

So to honor this oddity, I thought of some other slogans "American Standard" could employ:

"American Standard. We also create shit holes (septic tanks)."
"When you finally want to give a crap, call American Standard."
"American Standard. 20 years ago, these were all actually made by Americans. Now they are made by the Chinese. See how we're moving up?"
"American Standard. We stamp this on our toilets so you don't have to."
"American Standard. We serve as a really good metaphor for the economy. When you think of the economy, think of the pisser."

2 comments:

ButterPeanut said...

I've always found urinals sort of terrifying. We had a unisex bathroom when I was in grad school (fun fact: physics and engineering buildings built in the 60s were often constructed without women's bathrooms!) and I couldn't help but avert my eyes.

Brent Anderson said...

Ha. Some of the worst ones are located in sports stadiums where they aren't really individual urinals, but long troughs.

There is a horrible video of a drunk man sliding through one (through urine) on youtube.