Friday, September 5, 2008

Introducing 'Mary'

My first conversation with ‘Mary’ in the stairwell of my apartment building (9.4.08): I am 6’6”, white and lanky, and 34. She appears to be black, light-skinned, and around 25 years of age.

Mary’s dialogue: bold
My dialogue: italics
My simultaneous thoughts left unsaid: { }


Do you know if ‘Jim’ is in?
I don’t.

You’re really cute (repeated 3 times during conversation).
…Uh…thanks and finally…you’re pretty.
{No one has ever said that to me before; … she must be high}

Do you smoke weed?
No
{She is high}
‘Jim’ does.

Do you have anything to drink?
I don’t have a lot of anything …mumbling off into incoherency
{I can’t send her off with a bottle of whiskey}

Can I wait for ‘Jim’ with you in your apartment? I’m bored to hell.

No.
{Oh my gosh, I REALLY don’t want her in my apartment but am I appearing impolite?}

I’m ‘Mary’.
Hi, I’m Brent. Nice to meet you.

Now that we know each other, can I come and wait in your apartment?
No.

Can I recharge my phone with your charger?
What kind of phone do you have? Let me see.

Yes, come on up. I think my charger will work.


Door opens.

Please, have a seat.


All you guys in these apartments seem to have painted. Did you paint this yourself?
Yes.

I am really wanting to get me a white boyfriend.
……
{Some people have told me I should look for a woman of color; I agree. Just not her}

Have you heard the phrase: once you go black, you never go back?

Nervous laughter

At this point, she makes some other remark which I don’t remember…maybe telling me I’m cute again. I think it’s inferring that she would like me.
Why…is it because I’m black?
No
{I have black, no…bi-racial, family members. Let me show you my family picture}

Why are you so nervous?
The phone charger isn’t working. Let me get you a beer before you go.
My mom is going to f’in kill me. She’s already mad… (she goes on)
{I stop listening although I do keep trying to look at her pupils to see if they are dilated or jumpy}

Can I have five bucks? I need the money for the bus.
I don’t have money.

I’m not going to rob you.

What I meant was that I don’t have cash. I use a credit card.

It was nice meeting you.

She points to the beer on the table to make sure I really offered it to her, takes it, and leaves. All of this takes less than 5 minutes.

2 comments:

Calvin said...

I love Mary! She loves you too!

benjy said...

You gave her a beer? Man, that's like feeding a stray! Now she'll come back!