Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Things I Learned on the Zoo Train

1) Zebras' stripes are not black and white; they are brown and white
2) There is a scimitar horned antelope-looking animal whose horns are so close together on their head that they often fuse into one; which has given birth to the myth of the unicorn.
3) An ostrich's eyeball is bigger than its brain.
4) A peacock only refers to the male. Peahen refers to the female.


Sadly, I already knew this (from Wikipedia):
Elephants replace their teeth six times. At about 40 to 60 years of age the elephant no longer has teeth and will likely die of starvation, a common cause of death.

2 comments:

Courtney Patch said...

I thought this was very interesting. I just read all of these facts to my co-workers:) Remember when we went to the zoo?! So fun!

Brent Anderson said...

Yes, of course!!! That was such a great time. When can you come to Omaha again? :-)