Sunday, May 17, 2009

My Walk To/From School (In Pictures)


I liked this wall painting with the dolphins and the power of the 0cean. Bolivia has a fascination with everything related to the ocean. Bolivia even celebrates "El Dia Del Mar" every March 22nd and their loss of ocean access to Chile. Like every other country surrounding Bolivia, Chile tricked/bribed/ass-kicked Bolivia into being half the size it used to be. (I think Brasil may have received the most territory from Bolivia). This time, Chile took advantage of the Bolivians during Carnival and their possibly drunk state to claim even more ocean-front property....(their whole country is ocean-front property).


Cochabamba has some unusual trucks and cars on the road, a lot of them being old Volkswagens or Toyotas from Europe, where the dash is on the right side of the car (usually covered with a quilt), and unusable.








I like this old door...there are several more that are similar, but this is my favorite.

















A view of the mountains which blanket Cochabamba, particularly to the North. On my way to school, I can look to the left almost my entire journey for views like this one.










There is a welding shop near my house where this 'robot' protects the shop. He is always holding the knife and sometimes a mace. There are other things written on his shoulder pads, but I never stay long enough to read & translate.
















Many of the gas stations in Cochabamba have been closed and many of them look like they've been burned out. Which is interesting, because most of the time, there are lines of cars waiting to fill-up at gas stations. I asked my family if there were any riots in Cochabamba that may have led to these closings, but they said no. (Bolivia is known for its protests). It seems that in Bolivia's move to natural gas, and now that most of its' cars run on natural gas, the unleaded stations did not switch over and just closed.

1 comment:

ButterPeanut said...

thanks for the tour!

the robot is great.