Saturday, May 2, 2009

Bolivia



After being here in Bolivia for two months, I wanted to share my initial thoughts about culture in Cochabamba. However, I don't know if these initial impressions are specific mainly to my family and small experiences or are truly cultural (either to Cochabamba or to Bolivia).

1) Bolivians seem to place a HUGE value on land ownership and where people are born. De donde eres?...or "From where are you" is one of the first questions asked in conversation, even among Bolivians. In my first week at school, I was told from what Bolivian province every professor was born. For those folks born in Cochabamba, they are forever called a Cochabambino/a...from Potosi, a Potosino/a.

2) Bolivians, or at least Cochabambinos, place a HUGE value on keeping their cars clean. I have seldom seen a dirty car here in Cochabamba and my host family seems to wash their cars once or twice a week. Everywhere there is a running stream, 4-7 guys place themselves there to wash cars and cars line up for this inexpensive service. (Also, there are an extraordinary number of homes, fences, etc. that have been repainted since I've been here...I wonder if that is part of the overall cleanliness theme).

3) Bolivians, or at least Cochabambinos seem extraordinarily polite. When getting into a bus or taxi trufi, people often say "Buenos Dias" or another greeting. When getting off the bus or taxi trufi, they often thank the driver.

4) Bolivians, or at least Cochabambinos seem to have great manners. They never slurp their soup or their pasta. In general, they are very quiet eaters. I also have never seen them spit, put their fingers in their ears, or pick their nose in public. (I have seen many people urinate in public...but that is a necessity).

5) Cochabambinos catch up on their sleep on the weekends. Parties, even in people's homes and on weekdays, can go till 2 or 3 in the morning. There was a party at my host family's house this Thursday where 'dinner' was served at midnight...a 4 course meal starting at midnight! Saturday and Sunday is for sleeping in and catching up on all the rest missed earlier in the week.

1 comment:

amanda said...

regarding number 5, i cant just imagine how much you loved that. a party you couldn't quietly back your way out of :)