Monday, November 3, 2008

My Neighbor 'Ernie'

When I first came to Omaha six years ago, I quickly moved into my current apartment complex.

I live across the hall from 'Ernie'. Ernie is great. He isn't loud in the evenings, he says 'Hi', and we sometimes exchange video games. Pretty much all the qualifications I have for someone being a great neighbor.

After the first year or so of being neighbors, we shared personal info...single/married, our job, etc. I told him I worked for a non-profit. He said he was currently unemployed but was volunteering and hoped to use this as a springboard for a staff position at that firm.

He also shared that he wanted to be a ninja. And that he had been practicing the last year with his nunchucks.

This explained a lot.

I had heard crashing sounds coming from his place, had seen windows broken throughout his apartment, and missing light bulbs. He told me that he had broken all but 2 windows in his apartment with the nunchucks.

I asked him what he would do as a ninja...like what his responsibilities would be...
(My mind wandered to killing, kidnapping, sword play, and throwing star proficiency).

He said "We ninjas don't like to talk about that".

2 comments:

amanda said...

first thought, "brent's neighbor is crazy, and brent doesn't know it"

second thought, "is this what happens when you play too many video games?"

third thougt, "what would it look like if said neighbor invited brent over to teach him how to use the nunchucks?"

benjy said...

Be careful that Ernie doesn't discover your real motives: that the FBI moved you into that apartment across the hall from his in order to spy on him...