Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Family Memories

Do you think people can tell what year a particular year a home was sold? Not when it was built, but the last time the house was sold?

I think there is a good chance I would have been able to guess that our house in Illinois was purchased in 1971. That it was redecorated to suit the new owners and to "update" it's look at a particular moment in time.

Take a virtual tour: The front door opens to a landing (it is a split level ranch), so to the left and a half floor up and half-floor down are the upstairs and downstairs (half underground).

The landing has wallpaper: black & white fleur-de-lis wallpaper. The railings up and downstairs are cast iron in a spiral shape. Upstairs holds green carpeting with mostly brown & gold furniture in our living room. Curtains are heavy linen, I think gold colored, and fall to the floor against a picture window.

The kitchen has medium colored wood-stained cabinets, linoleum, and the refrigerator is dark brown.

The downstairs (family room) has brick wallpaper on one side and wood paneling on the other, has gold carpeting and mostly brown and green furniture. Curtains are dark brown and fall all the way to the floor against a sliding glass door. The sliding glass door opens to the back yard, a few steps up a concrete staircase.

That is the 70's design style....the triumvirate of brown, green, and gold.

4 comments:

brandts brandts everywhere said...

kinda like ours. brown green and orange. and we want to paint our kitchen yellow. guess we like the 70's. . . .groovy. :)

amanda said...

ha! my old apartment had one bathroom that was light pink in decor and one that was light blue. i think it is from 50's decor.

my parent's house has brown shag carpet in the basement with wood paneling too. you will also find the gold carpet and olive green kitchen sink and stove. my parents have since updated to a white stove, the sink remains.

Michael R said...

Having visited your childhood home many times, I concur with your early '70s carbon dating analysis. My enduring memory is the aforementioned iron-railing-ed stairs, which were individual carpeted horizontal planks with spaces where most stairs have vertical planks, allowing devious cousins (*cough* Brage) to reach through from underneath and grab my ankles to scare me. I still have nightmares about your dog.

Brent Anderson said...

Oh!!! How could I leave out the stairs?!!!! I thought about them, but couldn't really describe them. You did it beautifully.

Brage was a prankster.

Dirkson...That dog was TROUBLE.