Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Psalm 23 Reinterpreted: From Monica Klepac's blog in Romania

I thought this was beautiful.

"...the kids at the center are involved in a project to memorize Psalm 23. Sadly, this psalm has been in my mind so long, it was as carmelized and trite as the airbrush image above. I have been blessed this week to hear this powerful proclamation with new ears as strains of it are heard all around the center. It is so much more than a pastel-hued Jesus or a funeral standby. When seen through the eyes of our children, it is a challenge to the dehumanizing structures all around them and a beacon of our hope in a Love that is greater than evil.

The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.
though my stomach is growling, i have all i need
He maketh me to lie down in green pastures:
i sleep in warmth and peace in a bed with my 2 siblings
he leadeth me beside the still waters.
the water must be brought in by bucket from the spigot in the yard
He restoreth my soul:
he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
each day i choose to not walk on the street where the pimps hang out
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
i dont know if my father will be drunk or sober tonight
I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
When i hear him yelling, i pray for my and my mom to be safe
Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies:
boys at school cuss at me and spit on me, but i just keep walking
thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.
my hair gets washed and my mom checks it for lice
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life:
i want to marry a man that loves me and doesn't beat me
and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.
God is with me even when i feel alone."

No comments: