Monday, December 3, 2007

Check your mail for what may seem like spam...

A couple days ago I received a letter about a settled lawsuit with major credit card companies VISA, Mastercard, and maybe Diners Club. It involved purchases or ATM withdrawals overseas and entitled me to part of the settlement. I can choose one of three options. Option #1 is $25 back immediately, options #2 and #3 involve percentages paid back for what I spent overseas via credit card or took in withdrawals. The time period is close to 10 years in the late 90's and early 00's. This looks legit...like a settled class action suit.

I plan to choose option #1. I'll keep folks informed whether I get the funds promised. I'd like to think that WMF staff especially can make BANK on this...if they've been consistently using their personal credit cards the last few years for major purchases (including travel) while overseas or even getting their salary from ATM credit card withdrawals. I'm hoping this might be a nice Christmas present. I figure WMF staff members could receive anywhere between $25 and $200 if they participate.

2 comments:

Daphne said...

i got this letter too, and thought i might fare better with option #2. but option two meant that i spent a good portion of time on saturday trying to figure out how many days i've spent out of the country since feb 1996.

sadly, my old passport went through the washer AND dryer after a trip to romania one year. so i had to rely on my memory (gasp!) and a stack of sketchy journals to recreate my travel history. there are still some gaps i think.

in case you're interested, romania and nepal use the cheapest ink for their immigration stamps...those all washed off in the laundry. the ink used by singapore and thailand has the best staying power.

Liz said...

i don't want to take all the trouble that daphne is going to. will you just transfer the promised $200 into my support account from your personal bank account please?

thanks.