Sunday, February 28, 2010

Casablanca

I was privileged to spend an extra day in Casablanca on my last trip. I needed extra pages in my passport and a friend recommended doing this overseas, instead of mailing it to an Embassy in the States. This was perfect, as it allowed me to spend 45 minutes one morning having pages added at the US Consulate and the remainder of the day seeing Casablanca.

The couriers that I met in Casablanca over the course of my nine trips have been superb. Rabii and Yusef were especially kind during this trip. Yusef drove me around Casablanca and we were able to see the Hassan II Mosque, Almohades' cannons and an old fort wall, the seaside, and the old medina.



A public park on the outskirts of Casablanca



In Arabic... I'm told of the dedication of the park by the King.



Hassan II Mosque







Yusef






An old fort wall of the Almohades, the Fifth Moorish Dynasty founded in the 12th Century.


Several views of the sea; both from the mosque and from a beach nearby




A fisherman mending his net.




On my way back from Casablanca I had several harrowing travel experiences including: road construction, wrong terminal, lost passport, exorbitant fees, weather cancellations, rerouting, bus from JFK to LaG, running & sweating, seeing an airline manager, being told I would miss my flight, airlines endorsing their portion of a ticket to another carrier, etc. But several miracles happened and I got home only 2.5 hours after scheduled! So happy.

4 comments:

monica said...

hey, do you have to dress like a UPS guy for your courier job or do you just like brown?

ButterPeanut said...

yay, I'm so glad to finally see pictures!!

and I'm jealous of the sunshine.

yes, that is a very brown ensemble... but evidently you have "autumn" colorings so you can pull it off. :)

Rachel5963 said...

You didn't go to Rick's?!? (Don't tell me there really isn't a Rick's...I choose to believe there really is one!)

shammer said...

wow i wish i could have been there i am getting the itch to leave the country again and its at the point now where i dont care where i go jus so long as its reletively safe they dont speak english as the national language