Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Day Trip To Spokane and Frog Hunting

Last Friday I took a day trip to Spokane to cross another state off my list...Washington. The Spokane river, with its quick rapids, runs right through the city and is surrounded by parks, which makes it quite beautiful, peaceful, and green. They also have beautiful old bridges that you can cross and stop along the way to admire creation.

One of the voluntary tasks I've taken up in Idaho has been to hunt bullfrogs at the family's pond. They are an invasive species to the area and are said to eat small fish, other frogs, and even baby ducks! They are HUGE! And they make sounds throughout the day and night that I first mistook for donkeys. I asked the family..."Do you have donkeys in your backyard?" "No...those are bullfrogs", they replied. The sound can be heard both in the house and in what my host family calls 'the gypsy wagon' sometimes waking me up in the middle of the night.

I will try to post a picture of one of the frogs I killed using a BB gun. They seem to be armor plated since after that first 'kill' I've shot many more and they haven't died. When the dad and I went out on the canoe on Tuesday we shot 4 more that never reappeared. When the son went shooting Wednesday, we found 4 BB holes in one frog and it was still crawling around. I had to shoot it point blank to get it to die....its 5th shot!!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hahahahaha. This is the biggest laugh I have had in awhile. Glad to know you are contributing in a meaningful way. Also glad that I know your city folk side.

::athada:: said...

invasive species have no souls. animal ethics don't apply. have fun.

brandts brandts everywhere said...

this is hilarious. sort of. I feel sad that you have to shoot something but really . . mostly . . it's funny.

ButterPeanut said...

Yonder pond, huh...

Matt said...

Brent Anderson is my hero - he has been for a while but he continues to solidify his status.

monica noel said...

oh brent, we miss you! that is the most hilarious video i've seen in a while. linsey & i are thoroughly enjoying your adventures from afar, thanks for sharing :).

Brent Anderson said...

I don't know why I used a southern accent when I'm in North Idaho and close to the Canadian border. :-)

amanda said...

i can't wait to show this one to the rest of the family. so funny.

omahamandy said...

oh i love you. :)

Melanie said...

LOL! Too funny. Thanks for the laugh, Brent. Love the accent. So hick-ish.

Howie said...

Quite possibly one of the funniest things I've seen. I agree with Matt...Brent, your my hero.