Wednesday, April 23, 2008

The Diner and Other Restaurant Experiences

I go to some pretty "hole-in-the-wall" places to eat. Especially for breakfast. They each have great food, great service, and okay decor/location.

The ladies are always so nice. I get a lot of "What can i get you darlin', dear, hon', honey?" There are only a couple times that when this weirds me out:

1) When someone who looks like they might not even be out of high school directly imitates her mom or the older ladies in the shop and still uses this phrase (with a slight drawl added..that makes it seem faintly southern). "What can I get you hon?"

2) When there are variations of the 'darlin', hon, or honey'....such as "sweetie-pie" which I was called a couple weeks ago. "Hi Sweetie-pie". Something that maybe should be retired from the lexicon.

5 comments:

Melanie said...

Agreed. I think "sweetie pie" should only be used when referring to children.

Anyway, when I was working in the customer service dept at a life insurance agency, I talked with a lot of agents (most of them male). It would weird me out when any of them called me "hon" or (even worse) "babe." *cringe*

Liz said...

i think you look like a real sweetie pie. just kidding, i hate pet names used by younger people. and i agree with melanie that babe is totally inappropriate unless express spoken permission has been given by the woman to the man.

benjy said...

Show some leg next time--maybe you'll get some free food!

Brent Anderson said...

I "cringed" when I read Melanie's reference to being called babe at your local life insurance agency.

Sorry.

Some things just seem anachronistic. I can't imagine this happening in another 100 years (I hope). Or seeing calendars at auto shops with scantily clad women. In 1000 years I wonder what
people will think of our society where whole economies were built on watching three wheels spin in front of them and waiting for them to match pictures. (Vegas)

brage said...

if you don't like sweetie pie, i can't imagine what you really think of brenty-boy.