Monday, August 3, 2009

A Few Farming Points I Didn't Know:



Many, many bees die from constipation because they will not 'soil' their own hive if they can help it. When they can't help it, bees have diarrhea and there are few things that stink as much as a bee hive full of bee diarrhea. Also, when bees are alarmed, they send out a scent that smells like bananas...so if you smell that...RUN.

'Sticking'- is when you open a chicken's beak and stick a knife in there, immediately scrambling it's brain,so that it doesn't 'feel' its imminent death from breaking or cutting it's neck. I've heard it is considered the most humane way to kill a chicken. There will still be reflex actions from the chicken, moving its wings and feet for a couple minutes. Also, chickens don't have a lot of blood but it is best to hang the chicken upside down to drain. As with most animals, the younger hens (1-3 years) are the tenderest for eating.

My time at the farm came to an end on Friday; I was sent off with some horseradish, mustard greens, summer sausage, BBQ beef sticks, rhubarb, eggs, carrot cake, and some honey.

This weekend was spent with Caleb & Daphne in Minneapolis and we had SO much fun!!! I just arrived at Brage and Brian's and have vacay this next week as several other family members come. Lots of Scrabble will be enjoyed!

3 comments:

Melanie said...

Okay, I should NOT have read this while eating my breakfast this morning. =P Anyways, glad to hear you are having a great time!

::athada:: said...

scrambling an animal's brains while living... sounds humane to me

*shudder*

it must be counter-intuitive, b/c I feel like a clean slice o' the head would be better

Abigail said...

I agree with 'slice o' the head' being the better option. I would much rather my last moments be with my head on a 'pillow' than someone shoving a knife in my mouth.

I guess in the grand scheme of things, dead is dead...but still!